Sustainable Aluminium additive Manufacturing fOr high performance Applications
The SAMOA project started in April 2019 and will continue for three years.
The SAMOA partners are:
Luleå University of Technology
Politecnico di Milano
IMR metal powder technologies
Centro Ricerche FIAT
LTU Business AB
05/2021 SAMOA together with SPAcEMAN organized the seminar MAMAS on May 26th. More than 80 participants were registered and discussed the newest results of the projects. The recorded videos can be found here:
10/2020 Seminar about SAMOA and SPAcEMAN results
Results and findings from the EIT RawMaterials projects SAMOA and SPAcEMAN were presented in the AM-Seminar organized by LTU. High interest of more than 30 participants from several European countries was seen. Thank you all for your contributions.
10/2020 Project meeting online
The full consortium project meeting took place online again due to the travel restrictions. However, the partners were well motivated and significant progress was made. High Zr-contents were able to avoid cracking in LPBF. The designs for the final demonstrator parts were discussed and first demonstrator structures were already built.
04/2020 Project meeting online
Unfortunately, we could not meet in person as planned at our partner IMR in Austria this time. However, an efficient online meeting was possible, where all partners could share their recent findings and discuss.
03/2020 Powder development
The consortium finished the calculations and development of a new aluminium powder alloy that promises reduced crack susceptibility at high strength. Powder production will soon start at IMR.
01/2020 Wire-Arc-Additive Manufacturing (WAAM)
Siemens installed a new industrial setup for WAAM in Munich, Germany. Along, a digital twin for path planning was developed. First tests of building demonstrator parts are in progress.
11/2019 Project meeting in Milano
The very constructive project meeting was conducted at Politecnico di Milano. Actual results were shared and the next steps were defined.
08/2019 Powder produced
The first milestone was reached. IMR produced the powder that will be used for the Additive Manufacturing at PoliMi (powder-bed), IWS (blown-powder) and Siemens (filled wires).
04/2019 Kick-off meeting
Representatives from all SAMOA partners met in Luleå to get to know each other and to discuss the project tasks and timeline. Fruitful discussions initiated a smooth and motivated start into the project.
SAMOA aims to upscale Additive Processes and recycling methods to make aluminium powders and Additive Processing technologies including powder recycling available for the market. The objective of the SAMOA project is to upscale
- the use of aluminium alloys and the development of diverse aluminium alloys for AM processes (IMR),
- the powder-based aluminium AM processes including powder‑recycling methods (PoliMi, IWS, CRF),
- the arc-wire AM processes (Siemens) and
- direct recycling methods of “waste” material (LTU) from research to market.
Online workshop on AM
The workshop/seminar on Additive Manufacturing with a special focus on the EIT RawMaterials projects SAMOA and SPAcEMAN took place October 27th-28th 2020.
The workshop “Arctic Platform for Additive Manufacturing” took place in Luleå October 24th-25th 2019 with the guest lecturer Prof. Frank Brückner (IWS, partner in the SAMOA project)
- R. Casati “Design and heat treatment optimization of a novel high strength Al alloy for Selective Laser Melting” AAMS 2019, Goteborg, Sweden.
- R. Casati “Design, manufacturing and characterization of high strength Al alloys with improved SLM processability” MAMC 2019, Örebro, Sweden.
- M. Vedani, Presentation, EIT RawMaterials Expert Forum on Sustainable Materials for Future Mobility 2019, Turin, Italy.
- E. Lopez, Presentation, EIT RawMaterials Expert Forum on Sustainable Materials for Future Mobility 2019, Turin, Italy.
- T. Kamps, Presentation, EIT RawMaterials Expert Forum on Sustainable Materials for Future Mobility 2019, Turin, Italy.
- J. Volpp, Journal publication, “Spattering effects during Selective Laser Melting”, Journal of Laser Applications
- J. Volpp, H.S. Prasad, Conference publication, ”Impact of Powder Application on Particle Incorporation during Direct Metal Deposition”, Proceedings of LAMP2019 – the 8th International Congress on Laser Advanced Materials Processing
- J. Volpp, Conference publication, ”Layer Geometry depending on number of tracks during Selective Laser Melting”, Lasers in Manufacturing Conference 2019
- J. Volpp, Conference publication, “Powder particle movement during Powder Bed Fusion”, 17th Nordic Laser Material Processing Conference (NOLAMP17), 27 – 29 August 2019
- A. daSilva, Conference presentation, “Additive manufacturing of aluminum: a review”, NOLAMP 17 • the 17th Nordic Laser Material Processing Conference
- J. Volpp, Conference publication, “Early-stage development of analytical thinking in problem-solving tasks”, 7:e Utvecklingskonferensen för Sveriges ingenjörsutbildningar, Luleå tekniska universitet, 27 november – 28 november 2019
- H.S. Prasad, F. Brueckner, J. Volpp, A.F.H. Kaplan, Journal publication, ”Laser Metal Deposition of copper on diverse metals using green laser sources”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology
- J. Volpp, Workshop presentation, “Particle ejections during laser powder bed fusion”, IFSW Hirschegg workshop 2020
- A. da Silva, Joerg Volpp, Jan Frostevarg, Alexander F.H. Kaplan ”Acceleration of metal drops in a laser beam”, (in publication process)
- T. Hauser et al., Journal publication, ”Fluctuation effects in Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing of aluminium analysed by high-speed imaging” (in review)